Equity and Inclusion
Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The following fundamental principles of community for the University of California, Berkeley, are rooted in a mission of teaching, research and public service and are fully upheld by the Nuclear Engineering Department. They reflect our passion for critical inquiry, debate, discovery and innovation, and our deep commitment to contributing to a better world. Every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring and humane environment in which these values can thrive.
- We place honesty and integrity in our teaching, learning, research and administration at the highest level.
- We recognize the intrinsic relationship between diversity and excellence in all our endeavors.
- We affirm the dignity of all individuals and strive to uphold a just community in which discrimination and hate are not tolerated.
- We are committed to ensuring freedom of expression and dialogue that elicits the full spectrum of views held by our varied communities.
- We respect the differences as well as the commonalities that bring us together and call for civility and respect in our personal interactions.
- We believe that active participation and leadership in addressing the most pressing issues facing our local and global communities are central to our educational mission.
- We embrace open and equitable access to opportunities for learning and development as our obligation and goal.
For more information, visit UC Berkeley's Division of Equity, Inclusion & Diversity page.
UC Berkeley provides a comprehensive Mental Health Handbook plus a helpful "Gold Folder" guide for helping people in distress.
For more information please visit: https://uhs.berkeley.edu/counseling/prevention-education-outreach/mental-health-handbook
Prevention of Harassment & Discrimination
Nuclear Engineering Equity Adviser
The mission of the NE Equity Adviser is to ensure our principles are implemented and respected at all levels within the Department, to help devise and implement solutions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion issues not necessarily involving formal investigations, and to serve as pointers to campus resources for conflict resolution and emotional and mental health. Any member of the NE Department and community can come to the Equity Adviser for help.
The NE Equity Adviser is an active member of the UC Berkeley College of Engineering Council on Equity & Inclusion. The charge of this Council is to consult, formulate and implement a plan to achieve the College of Engineering’s Equity and Inclusion goals of eliminating the barriers to full participation by traditionally underrepresented groups, and to actively encourage the broadest participation possible in partnership with the Associate Dean of Equity and Inclusion and the entire College community (faculty, staff, and students at both the College and Departmental levels).
Faculty Chair - Rebecca Abergel email@example.comStudent Co-Chair - Eric Matthews (PhD) firstname.lastname@example.orgStudent Advisor Member - Kirsten Wimple email@example.comSecretary - Jessica Chow (MEng) jessica.chow22@
berkeley.eduNominated Members -Tyler Bailey (PhD) firstname.lastname@example.orgLaura Shi (UG) email@example.comMarissa Ramirez de Chanlatte (Affiliate) mzweig@berkeley. edu
Useful UC Berkeley Campus-Wide Resources
Campus Initiatives, Policies and Data
UC Diversity Statement
Berkeley Campus Plan for Accommodating the Academic Needs of Students with Disabilities
Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination
Code of Student Conduct
Code of Faculty Conduct
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
UC Berkeley Diversity Snapshot
Campus Climate, Community Engagement and Transformation
College of Engineering Facts
Disabled Students’ Program
Graduate Diversity Program
Support for Student Parents
Student Legal Services
Student Ombuds Office
Tang Center Counseling Services
Undergraduate Student Programs
Diversity Resources for Faculty